This topic introduces the basics of resilience and its benefits. This provides the foundation and motivation to begin the rewarding process of resilience building.
- About resilience. What resilience is. Why it matters, How resilience is developed.
- Course expectations. The benefits one can reasonably expect from resilience training, such as prevention of a range of medical and psychological problems and peak performance.
- How to run small groups. When possible, this is the ideal format for resilience training.
- Normalizing stress-related symptoms. Removing judgments, so that one can address symptoms effectively.
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. When one understands the nature, treatment, and prevention of this, the most complex stress-related disorder, then one better understands the nature, treatment, and prevention of a range of stress-related disorders. Effective resilience training must address the PTSD risk and protective factors, many of which are common to the other stress-related disorders.
- Self-awareness—being alert to symptoms and the need for intervention.
- Assessing personal resilience. A simple self-assessment gives participants an idea of where they presently stand.